Monday, March 2, 2009

The Sampson tree























Haven't done a Show and Tell for a while cause, well, other than shoes, I don't have anything new to show ya. But I had to share this. DH has a buddy that he hangs out with, usually they would walk the dogs together at least once a week in the endowment lands. He's one of those buddies that I rarely see. He's one of those aging bachelor dudes and if you ever slept with him you just wouldn't tell anybody, know what I mean? Anyways, they had a little "man" space they would hang out in with the dogs, affectionately coined "the Paddock". The dogs would run around and they would sit and smoke you know what and talk about whatever men talk about when no women are around. He did a very sweet thing, he made Sampson a memorial plaque in the shape of a bone and nailed it high up in a tree. And then the two of them scattered some of his ashes around the tree and if you look close at the 1st picture, you'll see the handprints they left. Below is a picture of his dog, Moose at the base of the tree. A very fitting and moving tribute. He knew exactly what Sampson meant to us.

8 comments:

luna said...

what a beautiful tribute to samps. and good boy, moose! isn't it strange how they know?

Evergreen said...

Really nice memorial, and the perfect place for it. I'm sure Sampson would approve.

loribeth said...

Awww, that's so sweet!! What a great tribute to Samson!

Wordgirl said...

Oh Deathstar,

I have tears in my eyes -- and goosebumps all over.

(and I had to laugh -- I KNOW that guy...yes, I do.)

What a beautiful, thoughtful friend for your husband to have.

I thought of you yesterday. I ran my mother and her elderly cat to the vet and while I was waiting there was a man and his lab mix in there -- tail all wrapped up and a t-shirt over her to protect her new stitches. Fourteen and wagging. We struck up a conversation over the sheer love of our dogs. He looked at me and said "and my wife and I were talking about if she dies, well." and he paused "well, she will, of course" and then he was quiet. "And you never think about that. You just can't think of that." And I felt the immense power of the love between them, I thought of you and Sampson, I thought of Lucy. They are such beautiful, amazing creatures.

I keep that picture of Sampson frolicking in the snow in my head alot.

Love and warmth to you my red-high-heeled kick-ass friend,

Pam

Beautiful Mess said...

That's a great memorial. I love the picture of Moose sitting there. Thank you for sharing it. HUGS!

annacyclopedia said...

You just kill me sometimes, Deathstar. I totally know that guy, too.

It is a beautiful tribute to Sampson, it truly is. And so lovely that you have such a good friend who completely gets how much you loved your sweet Sampson.

WannabeMommy said...

That's beautiful. Why can't dogs live forever?

Pamela T. said...

Sampson was a lion among dogs...