Monday, November 17, 2008

Cold

I'm in Toronto with my friend, taking care of her for a while. I've told you about her before. She has triple negative breast cancer that has metastasized into her liver and lungs, etc. She recently returned home from a healer in Peru but she's completely wiped out. I'm here making vegetable juices and cooking and shopping for her, keeping her company for a while. I can't tell her what to do but that doesn't stop me from trying. It's a little like caring for a sick child, she's kinda fussy and whiny, but she can't catch her breath if she moves too much, and she barely has strength to sit up. But I've noticed her mouth still works and she has no problem asking for what her juice in a particular cup. I honestly don't know what she would have done if I couldn't come. It hurts to see such an independent woman barely able to do for herself.


She's encouraged however for her future and that's what counts. She sees her illness as a spiritual journey. A lesson she has to learn. I understand on some level, but I really don't know. I think she's getting better, I hope she does. I pray she does. It's supposed to snow on Thursday.

9 comments:

luna said...

your being there is truly a gift.

Wordgirl said...

Oh Deathstar,

Have I mentioned the book to you called Grace & Grit? It's a book by Treya Wilber, wife of Ken Wilber -- who is a transpersonal philosopher -- it's about her own journey -- through journals, of seeking spiritual release, her involvement with meditation -- years ago I was given it by my almost father-in-law at the time who was studying hospice care.

It's powerful.

I am thinking of you alot these days my friend; I'm sorry I'm behind in my reading. I'll be missing the virtual contact during the next week but will see you when I return.

I hope you're taking care of yourself too -- it sounds like a very emotional time.

With love,

Pam

OHN said...

How fortunate that you are there. She may not express it but I would imagine that it means more to her than almost anything.

annacyclopedia said...

Praying for you both - for healing, insight, and strength to face whatever the future is bringing. And much joy and peace in this time you are spending together.

Guera! said...

I hope I have a friend like you when I need it. There's not enough that can be said about how much it must mean for you to be there for her.

Forever Hopeful said...

I think your friend is so lucky to have you by her side. Prayers for the both of you.

Pamela T. said...

You are an angel for coming to your friend's side -- such loyal and generous friends don't come along so often. I admire her for the ability to see this as a growing experience. Would that we could all be so brave.

loribeth said...

I'm so glad you made it. (((hugs))) You are a blessing to her (as she is to you).

By the way -- I know you are here to support your friend -- and to be honest, it's probably the worst/busiest week of the year for me (year end) -- but should you happen to find yourself downtown in the next few days & in the mood for a coffee...

Deathstar said...

I'll keep it in mind LB. I have to stay pretty close to let in and out the support workers, but I'll try.