Thursday, December 18, 2008

A "YES"!

I have some great news - I have been accepted into the acting ensemble at the Banff Centre for the Women in the Director's Chair program. I didn't make it as a director, but that's okay, I'll make it next year's goal. It was a bit of a long shot anyway. And it costs a fortune. I was going to get a scholarship to go but now I don't have to stress about that now. As a participating actor, the expenses are all paid for. Yippee! I get to work with some up and coming female directors and immerse myself in a creative atmosphere. I'll be taking notes from a director's point of view and I will soak up inspiration. I'm travelling again - what good fortune for me! I absolutely hate January (unless I'm working) and now I have something to look forward to. Of course, I just found out that hubby will be going to Toronto a couple days before but he will have to stock up on frozen foods cause I'm outta here.

Part of the thrill is someone just saying "yes" to me. It's been a looooooong time since that's happened career wise. I've been an actor for years and I've developed a thick skin to rejection, but really, if you had to endure the amount of "no" I've had this year, you'd be medicated too.

Speaking of medication, I've been off Effexor for about 10 days now and I'm feeling much better. It's been two whole nights without a sweaty sleep. I'm still having some minor side effects, but I'm enjoying having my taste buds (for shiraz and popcorn, and President's Choice Dulce la leche ice cream sandwiches) come alive. My Mike & Ikes' obsession may be ending - I can actually taste the ohmigod that's way too much sugar! what the hell have I been eating? feeling again. I haven't been to the gym since last week when I almost spontaneously combusted in spin class. Not in the mood, but if I'm not careful, after Christmas time, I may not be able to get my mood IN my jeans.

I've been ingesting my omega 3 oil (eww!) and Teendoc has sent me a link for more high grade oil to stabilize my mood. (Why is everything cheaper in the States?) Speaking of mood, I just paid the GNP of a small country to get my hair done again. So I'm feeling like my old diva self again. Hubby has me on a cash budget these days, but he's been good enough (read: smart) to keep my hairstyle in mind. Trust me you don't want to fuck with an irritable black woman coming off an SSRI with a old weave!

He's made a couple comments about me dressing lately in dog walking clothes (baggy sweats - they are warm and it's cold and snowing here at the moment), but I pointed out to him that I only have 3 pairs of pants (skinny black jeans, blue jeans, dress pants) that actually fit skinny (size 12 - so what Tyra?) me and since I've been on shopping lockdown, I don't have a huge selection. I'm actually getting rid of a bunch of old clothes. I actually don't mind so much now - I'm trying to change my financial karma and I want to be able to save money for more important things like baby gear.... and my hair. You know, important stuff.

9 comments:

Guera! said...

Oh wow! Congratulations! The excitement oozes from your post. I am really excited for you and it sounds so cool. Hey and hair IS important. Congratulations again!

I see you redecorated. Any reason why?

luna said...

YES!!!!!

so happy you have something so wonderful to look forward to in 2009!

and yes, baby gear and hair ARE important...

Pamela T. said...

So, SO EXCITED for you!!! Can't wait to hear all about the experience when you're grooving in January...

Anonymous said...

Congrat's on the work! I hope 2009 brings more of the same!! Now, for the rest of us possibly peri-menopausal ladies, what is that link for the hi-grade fish oil! :)

-Joanna

Wordgirl said...

Listen, my hair has been so lackluster and effing boring since I was silly enough to decide to 'go natural' which his, evidently, dishwater blond -- ew -- and I've been thinking that a really good mood is just a good cut and color away -- is that so wrong?

It sounds so wonderful to be invigorated and in the midst of things as a particpating actor! (you can't tell but I just said that a very 'actorly' tone) It's inspiring! You deserve a shower of yesses -- may this just be the beginning!

Love,

Pam

PS you almost have me thinking that instead of spinning at home I should take my size 12 to a bike seat at the gym....

chicklet said...

Woohoo, congrats lady!

loribeth said...

Woohoo, congratulations!! January in Banff will be gorgeous. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Kevin, Leah & Bodhi said...

YAY!!! I have always wanted to do this! Enjoy every second of it, its gonna be AWESOME and you deserve it!!!!

Me said...

A very late but very sincere CONGRATS!!!