I am seriously aggravated. The rescue society where we got Juno had me sign a foster agreement for her until she was spayed whereupon I could then purchase her from them. They insisted that she had to spayed by the end of this month. I do have to say they never mentioned that she HAD to be vaccinated, just fixed. She is presently 3 months old. Now I knew this right from the beginning, but I was hoping that as time went on, seeing via pictures and talking with the adoption counsellor on the phone that she was well loved and that they would let it slide a bit. I had 2 vets recommend that the procedure be done at 6 months. Actually our old vet said that he would have refused to do it until she was 6 months old. The other vet where the society had arranged to have her spayed, didn't want to do it that early either and couldn't understand why they were insisting on it, but apparently someone there in charge said they would. And since the vet I saw is just on call and not the owner/vet in charge of everything, I guess her opinion doesn't carry much weight. I had her call the shelter but apparently they were not prepared to bend the rules. So I'm taking her in next week for the recommended pre-anaesthesia consult. This of course will cost me money. I would like to get a medical note saying she's too underweight for surgery or something, but we'll have to see. I'm not getting the feeling this vet is willing to lie or anything.
Is it just my imagination or is the shelter being a tad militant and inflexible? Not particularly the girl I speak to but her supervisor. Who by the way has not picked up the phone to explain to me why this is such a iron clad rule. The supervisor wouldn't speak to the vet either. And from what I hear she's regretting her decision to make alternative arrangements. I bet. I'm sure she really does care about animals and I'm also sure she doesn't give a rat's ass about how I feel. I just keep getting the broken record spiel about it being policy and that Juno is still their dog. Really. Try and take her back from me. Seriously.
I understand there's two schools of thought on neutering. Some say early spaying is fine, others say spaying should be done at 6 months. I can also appreciate that early spaying for shelter animals is preferable. However, my beloved Juno is not in a shelter. She's in my home under our care. Our very expensive and nurturing care. She's not let out in a yard cause we don't have one. We live in a city that just adores its dogs and there are not too many unleashed unneutered dogs roaming around the sidewalks near Starbucks looking for an easy lay. Let's be clear about this. I want her to be spayed, I can barely handle my own plumbing, I don't care to bother with hers. I have no intention of breeding her. I would never do that, have no interest. However, I just want what's best for her. At the time that is best for her. So let's just hope that at whatever point this spay procedure does gets done, that it all goes smoothly and her recovery and continued health is fine. Cause I just want to buy her from them and wash my hands of them. I didn't mean to start a conflict (or maybe I did, I don't know), but the one thing that truly gets my back up is when people try to make me do something that I don't want to do. And just because they cite a "rule".
One More for the Reader ... - Hopefully this will go out on the reader -- that I am shutting her down today (well making it accessible to those who give me their email addresses anyway)...
2 years ago